- Why are you giving up? You need to be clear on this one as you need to remember your reasons to keep you going when you feel like giving in. It may be an idea to write out your list and put it in a prominent place, such as on your fridge, so that if the road gets a little tough you can use it for motivation.
- You will need the support of your family and friends to ensure that you persevere with you objective. You will need to get their ‘buy-in’ so that they encourage you throughout your journey. They will also need to be considerate and realise that this may be a tough period for you and perhaps going to a bar may breed temptation to pick up a cigarette.
- Aids to quitting If the addictive qualities of nicotine begin to get too much, you can try using a nicotine patches or chewing gum. Patches and gum are the two most popular aides used by somebody trying to quit smoking and do not require a prescription. They work by releasing a small amount of nicotine into your bloodstream but not the dangerous levels released by the nicotine in tobacco.
- Substitute your habit: As you probably spend a long time during the day with a cigarette in your hand, your hands are also going to miss not having a cigarette in them. Not only do you have to contend with not having the nicotine in your bloodstream you also have to contend with keeping your hands busy. You could try drinking more water, rolling a coin, holding hands more or even paging your loved ones. Don’t let your hard work go to waste!Once you have successfully kicked the habit you must ensure that you are not tempted to relapse by picking up another cigarette. You will still at times be caught remembering the time when you smoked but you also need to remember why you decided to quit in the first place.
- If you need to, refer to the list that you made at the beginning of your journey. When you do quit you (and you will) you should be immensely proud of yourself. You will have achieved something that millions of other people wish they had also achieved. Good Luck.
Y.I. (for Mohaly)
Sunday & Free :)