A wise man once said: "In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure."
Have you ever thought about how to you know that you are successful or not? or How can you feel satisfied about yourself and your life regardless what job you are doing? .... I find many people in Egypt having a perception that success is having a good position in a big company and getting a big salary !! I find people prisoners of this one track-minded success. Success is not a position, nor the name of the employer, nor the amount of money you make. Success is a state of mind and a life-style where we are in-tune with what we do, want, and have.
Whether you had or hadn't thought about it, let me introduce some guides and measures that I compiled -and added to from my personal journey and findings- that may help you through understanding SUCCESS.
You are successful If:
1. You have a mission of what you are doing and a vision of why you are doing it, and a strategy of how you will be achieving it. This will be your guideline and benchmark in any future plan, risk, or decision. "Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success."
2. You consider accomplishment a commitment not just a promise or a dream. You work hard, study, and try once, and twice till you reach what you want. "Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome." Booker T. Washington
3. You think about the solutions not the problem, and try always to find unconventional ways and ideas. Successful people turn problems into challenges, and challenges into opportunities and act upon them. "Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure."
George Edward Woodberry
4. You enjoy doing what you do and don't feel the time passing. I.e. you are inspired and motivated."Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally." David Frost
5. You take the lessons from the past, and use it to enjoy the present and realistically plan the future. "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."
6. You know what you say and when. "Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. "
7. You know what you are doing and assertive about it no matter what. Everybody is unique and has his own recipe of success. "Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it. " Bruce Lee
8. You do help others and not expect help from them, and remember that you can't please them all.
9. You put yourself in others shoes and treat them the way you wanna be treated regardless of their level.
10. Last and not least, if you have solid values and are sticking to it. "Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value." Albert Einstein
So how many have you got out of 10?